Postcode: 4014 | Distance to CBD: 10 km
Welcome to Virginia
Virginia is a well established suburb in Brisbane's north with both industrial and residential areas. The suburb has its own railway station on the Caboolture line and a state school, founded in 1920. The Virginia Golf Club in Elliott Road, Banyo dates from 1929 and is also popular for weddings and functions. Residents are close to excellent services and facilities including the Brisbane Entertainment Centre, and the northern bayside suburbs of Nudgee Beach, Shorncliffe and Sandgate are only a short drive away.
Virginia is about 10km from Brisbane’s CBD. Over 38% of households in this area consist of couples with children, 40% are couples without children and 19% are single parent families. Stand-alone houses make up over 97% of the dwellings in this area. You’ll mainly find timber and tin Queenslanders and workers cottages around here, some still in need of renovation.
Virginia Shopping Centre on Sandgate Road is your closest shopping area, and you’re only a short drive from Westfield Chermside if you’re after more variety.
10 km North of the Brisbane CBD.
Virginia rail station, Light to medium industrial precinct, small residential precinct.
Located approximately 10km north of the Brisbane CBD, Virginia is a mix of industrial centres and residential housing. Virginia can be broken down into about 40 per cent light to medium industrial and 60 per cent residential houses with a few townhouse developments mixed in. With close access to employment the area has become a mix of young and established families and retirees. While few bargains can now be found in the area, it is not uncommon to see current residents upgrade their homes. The excellent facilities in and around the area have seen the popularity of Virginia remain high and as such result in significant price growth. Facilities such as hospitals, schools and shops are readily available to residents of Virginia. Chermside offers residents access to two hospitals and a major shopping centre featuring all major retailers and a restaurant and cinema complex. Residents also have easy access to Toombul Shopping Centre.
Leisure facilities around Virginia include plenty of bike ways and walk ways, picnic and barbeque spots near lagoons and wetlands in neighbouring Boondall. Musical and stage shows are also close by at the Brisbane Entertainment Centre also in Boondall. Families are well serviced by numerous private and public schools such as Nudgee College in and around Virginia, accommodating both primary and secondary aged children.Public transport is also good with three railway stations in the vicinity (Virginia, Boondall and Zillmere) and city express bus services running at regular intervals. Major roads such as Gympie Road or Sandgate Road put the commute to the city at around 20 minutes. The Gold Coast and Sunshine Coasts are also easily accessible via the Gateway Motorway.
The Jagera and Turrbal groups occupied land in the Brisbane and Ipswich areas. The exact boundaries are not known, however, the Turrbal generally occupied the area north of the Brisbane River. Both groups had closely related languages, which are classified as belonging to the larger Yaggera language group. The Virginia area has a rich indigenous history. Evidence of Aboriginal occupation can be found in a bora ring at Nudgee Waterhole and in sites of special importance at Dinah Island, near Boondall Wetlands. Aboriginal tribes from as far as Northern NSW travelled to the Bunya Mountains stopping at nearby Zillmann’s Waterholes on their way.
Virginia was named after the Virginia Brick (later Pipe) Company, which was founded in 1897, near the Virginia Railway Station, which opened in 1888. Water for the brickworks was drawn from a waterhole nearby called ‘the pump hole’, which was also used by the community as a swimming spot. The Meadfoot Estate was created in 1887, and the Newtown Estate in 1889, however, the Virginia Park Estate established in the 1920s could offer its residents a motor bus service from the Clayfield Tram Terminus to Virginia every hour. In 1923 electricity was installed in the streets of Virginia and Northgate. The brickworks ceased operations in the 1970's.
In 1928 Jack and Bert Roach cleared the area for the Virginia Golf Course, whilst Mr D A Crawford a Main Roads Engineer, who later became Commissioner for Main Roads and Foundation President, drew up plans for a 9 Hole Course. The Club employed Jack Hall in 1931 and he remained with them for the next 45 years, eventually becoming the Head Greenkeeper. The Club was expanded with the purchase in 1958 of a further 72.5 acres of ground, which adjoined the course. A course architect integrated the existing 18 Holes with additional holes giving a 27 Hole Layout. Jack Hall had the honour of striking the first ball on the new course.
Goss road is named after a local Family who ran a dairy in the area. The family home stood on the corner of Goss Road and Sandagte Road, Virginia. The Stegman family (brother Vince and sister Dolly) had a shop near Virginia Railway Station until quite recently (2001). Recently (2003) the shop was demolished. Vince was a familiar sight around Virginia in his old truck in which he carted beautiful displays of fresh fruit and vegetables. Ken Mackay, a Queensland cricketer, was raised in the area and a park is named after him at Toombul.
The Virginia Presbyterian Church began services in 1911 in a wooden shed until a timber church was built. Builders, G.A.Sommerville & Sons, constructed a new church and the foundation stone was laid in 1959. A feature of the church on the corner of Sandgate road and Gympie Street is an illuminated cross on the face of the tower at the front of the church. The Virginia State School was opened on 31 January 1920 with a total of 169 students. A huge storm damaged the building and students studied under canvas, or in the Virginia Presbyterian Church, until a new school was completed in 1924.
Reference: BRISbites, 2000