Postcode: 4018 | Distance to CBD: 16 km
Welcome to Taigum
Taigum was very likely named after an Aboriginal word for the rainforest plant known as lawyer vine Calamus muelleri which once covered the area. Nowdays Taigum has a large number of townhouse developments, some with shared facilities such as swimming pools or gyms, and the suburb also offers affordable living in relocatable homes and secure communities for the over 50s. Nearby Mulbeam Park is popular with families and from Taigum it's only a short drive to bayside Sandgate and it's also very close to Boondall's Brisbane Entertainment Centre. Fresh eggs, including duck eggs can be bought at the local poultry farm on Muller Road - a rare find in Brisbane nowdays. The Salvation Army holds the Taigum Salvo Mega Markets twice a year with the next markets on 7th March 2009 and 7th November 2009 at the corner of Handford Road and Roghan Road.
Taigum is about 20km from Brisbane’s CBD. Over 38% of households in this area consist of couples with children, 40% are of couples without children and 18% are single parent households. Stand-alone houses make up over 61% of the dwellings in this area, and townhouses account for another 25%. The houses are mostly modern brick and tile structures, and there are recently built townhouses and units in this area. There’s plenty of green space as well as picnic and barbeque spots in this area.
There’s a shopping centre on Beams Road or, for more variety, head over to the Aspley Hypermarket where you’ll find everything you’d expect from a large shopping mall.
16.5km north of Brisbane CBD.
Good public transport, close to Brisbane Entertainment Centre in Boondall, affordable older-style homes and some new developments.
Taigum is about 16km from the Brisbane CBD and provides a good mix of modern facilities and suburban lifestyle leisure. While Taigum is made up of both townhouses and single-detached dwellings, residential development is ongoing. The mix of townhouse/unit complexes and houses has attracted a variety of residents to the area. Couples and singles have taken advantage of the convenience and versatility offered by the recent townhouse developments, while families and some retirees enjoy the space provided by the traditional Aussie home with a large backyard. Westfield Chermside represents the closest major retailers for Taigum residents; however, a smaller local shopping centre is also available.
Public transport in the area is good with two rail stations close by and regular city express bus routes operating in the area. Public transport also means residents have easy access to the Brisbane Entertainment Centre located at Boondall, and cinemas and restaurants at Chermside. In terms of recreational areas, the lagoons and wetlands in neighbouring Boondall supplement the walk and bike ways, sports fields and picnic and barbeque areas around Taigum. There are schools in neighbouring suburbs, including Nudgee College, as well as private and public, primary and secondary schools in Taigum
The Jagera and Turrbal groups occupied land in the Brisbane and Ipswich areas. The exact boundaries are not known, however, the Turrbal generally occupied the area north of the Brisbane River. Both groups had closely related languages, which are classified as belonging to the larger Yaggera language group. In nearby Shorncliffe the Ningy-Ningy clan had displaced the Turrbal by the 1850s. Cabbage Tree Creek which borders Taigum was known to the Aborigines under the suburb name and alternate spellings were Tygham or Tigham. Evidence of Aboriginal occupation can be found; in a bora ring at Nudgee Waterhole, and in sites of special importance at Dinah Island and by Aboriginal camps on the banks of the Cabbage Tree Creek.
In 1891 the Nundah Divisional Board, which embraced Taigum and other suburbs, suggested that its name be changed to the Tyghum Divisional Board. This suggestion was unsuccessful, however the name was changed in 1901 to the Kedron Divisional Board and then to the Kedron Shire Council. At this time Frederick Drew operated ‘Tyghum’ Dairy at Beckett Road and this land became part of the new suburb of Taigum. The Taigum State School was established in 1957 and most classrooms were modernised in 1999. The Pre-school was constructed in the 1970's. The Zillman Water Girl Guides, which covered the Taigum area, met in the Taigum State School from 1974 for three years before they moved to St Flannan’s Church for five years before moving to Boondall.
Frederick Drew operated ‘Tyghum’ Dairy at Beckett Road and he inadvertently became a pioneer of the area. His land became part of the new suburb of Taigum. PJ Symes owned land in the area and the Symes name is recognised in the name given to the Symes Grove Anglican Home.
There are a number of nursing homes in Taigum. The Anglican Church operates Symes Grove, which was built on land purchased in 1960. The nursing home opened in 1962. More of the same parcel of land was purchased in the late 1960s, which allowed for the construction of St Martins Nursing Home in 1982. St Martins was named after St Martins Hospital in Ann Street which closed down in the 1960s but which provided some funds for the nursing home of the same name in Taigum. The land for both homes was purchased using part of the bequest of PJ Symes and a sister nursing home called Symes Thorpe was constructed in Toowoomba using funds from the same source.
Reference: BRISbites, 2000