Postcode: 4032 | Distance to CBD: 10 km
Welcome to Chermside West
The large Raven Street Reserve and the Downfall Creek Bushland Centre are two popular natural attractions of Chermside West, a northern suburb of Brisbane. Walkers and cyclists can follow the pathway along the creek and into the remnant bush. The area is part of the 'Mountains to Mangroves' corridor. Children can attend Craigslea Primary and High Schools. The primary school is home to Brisbane's only 'sensitivity unit' where students from any school can visit to learn what it's like to be physically or mentally disabled. Craigslea High School is a school of excellence in sports and music. The suburb contains mostly post-war homes, which vary from chamferboard to low-set brick styles. There are a few with larger than average blocks and lots have pools.
Chermside West is about 10km from Brisbane’s CBD. Over 45% of households in this area consist of couples with children, 39% are of couples without children and 13% are single parent households. Stand-alone houses make up over 99% of the dwellings in this area. Timber and tin homes on good-sized blocks with well-established gardens are common in this area.
Chermside Westfield Shoppingtown is a major shopping centre with everything you expect including supermarkets and specialty stores. Chermside Markets on the corner of Gympie and Webster Roads and Aspley Hypermarket are all conveniently close too.
Nicole says: I adore Chermside West. It is convenient to the Prince Charles Hospital and major shopping centres yet still has a quiet suburban feel. The nicest thing about my suburb is it is close to the Raven Street Reserve so I can escape the city and get a taste of the natural environment
10 km north of the Brisbane CBD.
Close to Prince Charles and Holy Spirit Hospitals, and Westfield Shoppingtown Chermside
Located just 10 kilometres north of the Brisbane CBD, Chermside West is a well-established Brisbane suburb with families making up the majority of residents. The area contains very little vacant land and the high level of activity in the beginning of 2001 dried up most real bargains and created a shortage of supply in the area. Despite demand for housing in the area, Chermside West remains predominantly houses (90 per cent). As is the situation with other surrounding suburbs, Westfield Shoppingtown in Chermside is the major commercial anchor for residents in Chermside West. It received a complete refurbishment recently that makes it one of the most popular shopping complexes in Brisbane.
Also close by are Flockton Plaza and Brookside Shopping Centre. A scattering of parks in the area including the Raven Street Reserve and Huxtable Park provide good walk and bikeways, and meeting points for social groups such as Scouts and Girl Guides. Craigslea Primary and High schools in Chermside West and other state and private schools in neighbouring suburbs service families. Hospital services are also close at hand with Holy Spirit Hospital recently joining the Prince Charles Hospital and North West Private Hospital as one of three hospitals in the vicinity.
The Duke of York Clan occupied the region to the south of the South Pine River. To the north was the North Pine Clan. Tom Petrie indicated that the Turrbal language was spoken as far north as North Pine, west to Moggill and Gold Creek and south to the Logan. Petrie was a great source of information on Aboriginal people and he marked out many of the roads in the district along existing Aboriginal tracks. He first travelled the Old Northern Road in 1845 when he accompanied Aborigines to the bonyi (bunya) festival in the Blackall Ranges.
Tom spoke about the leader of a small fishing tribe who lived near the mouth of the South Pine River. His clan called him Mindi-Mindi, and the whites called him Kabon-Tom. He initially scared Tom Petrie when Tom teased him as a child, but later they became friends. Kabon-Tom lived to be an old man in his nineties. Others weren't so lucky. The diseases bought by the whites soon had a major detrimental effect on the Aboriginal population.
The first settlers in West Chermside were a group of English families who purchased land on the corner of Hamilton Road and Maundrell Terrace in 1913. These people established their own little community, which became known locally as 'Chummeytown'. These families included the Bills, Mills, Watts, and Wooleys. They built their own hall and had their own cricket team, which competed locally. Early development began when a group of English migrants subdivided land on the corner of Maundrell Terrace and Hamilton Road (near Dean Street) into four five-acre (two-hectare) lots. Like neighbouring Chermside, the area was originally home to many slaughter yards. Urban expansion began in the post-war era when some parcels of land were marketed as Marylands Estate and Aspley Heights.
The mid-1960s saw extensive subdivision of the area and the Aspley School experienced overcrowding. During the 1960s land was developed for housing between Maundrell Terrace and Gympie Road to the north of Rode Road. The Craigslea Primary School opened in January 1972. The name was borrowed from the nearby 'Ravenscraig' housing estate. The high school opened in January 1975. Land between Hamilton Road and Rode Road was developed during the 1970s. The suburb of Chermside West was gazetted in 1975, although at that time there were moves to create a new suburb of Rode between West Chermside and Stafford Heights.
Sir Herbert Chermside, after whom Chermside was named, was the first Governor of Queensland from 1902-4. The Hamiltons were one of the first families to settle in Chermside. Andrew, Margaret, and seven children settled on Gympie Road between Kuran Street and Hamilton Road in the late 1860s. Here they eventually established coach-building and blacksmithing businesses. Another early family was the Pattersons, who started the first store at 575 Gympie Road.
Aaron Adsett farmed the land where the garden settlement is now. The Adsetts had a family of sixteen children. Some of the German families who settled along Hamilton Road were the Hermans, Lenzs, Fischlers, Staibs, and Bachmanns. Gottleib Conradi opened the second store in the area in about 1880. He named it the Polsloe Store, after his home town.
George Marchant, a soft-drink manufacturer, donated the land now known as Marchant Park. The park was established in 1918 when the Kedron Shire Council was instructed by the government to acquire more parkland. Marchant had originally used the area as a spelling paddock for his horses. He also donated the land for the Garden Settlement and financed the construction of the first cottages on the site. Frank and Norma Sleeman made their mark locally in the post-war era. They started a newsagency in 1950 and ran it until 1957. Frank was later Lord Mayor of Brisbane.
The Raven Street Reserve is home to the Downfall Creek Bushland Centre, established by the Brisbane City Council in 1988 to cater for community environmental education and hands-on care for urban bushland. It is jointly managed by Greening Australia. The 24.3-hectare area was under threat from urban development. During the 1950s it had been subject to destruction by wandering cattle, and goats, and foxes that preyed on the many poultry farms in the region. Trail-bike riders took their toll during the 1970s. The preservation of this area is an environmental asset to the suburb. It boasts 200 native-plant species and 115 bird species.
In the 1989 discussion paper on the future of Brisbane's bushland, this area was named as a unique pocket of coastal heath woodlands. The Milne Hill Reservoir is a landmark in this district and was the first to provide water to the areas of Chermside and Stafford.
Reference: Mary Howells, BRISbites, 2000