Postcode: 4032 | Distance to CBD: 10 km
Welcome to Chermside
This suburb has some big things - the enormous Chermside Shopping Centre (which was Australia’s first mall), the large Prince Charles Hospital, the huge Chermside public library (one of the few open 7 days a week) and the big numbers of apartments and townhouses which are springing up in the area. Of course, there are single-dwelling homes too, most of which date from the post war era but Chermside has been identified as a regional hub of Brisbane and is the centre for a lot of public transport, employment and other services.
Chermside is about 10km from Brisbane’s CBD. Over 25% of households in this area consist of couples with children, 41% are of couples without children and 26% are single parent households. Stand-alone houses make up over 53% of the dwellings in this area, and units account for another 32%. You’ll see many chamferboard homes in this area as well as a number of newer units and townhouses.
Chermside Westfield Shoppingtown is a major shopping centre with everything you expect including supermarkets and specialty stores. Chermside Markets on the corner of Gympie and Webster Roads and Aspley Hypermarket are all conveniently close too.
Krystle says: Shopping and atmosphere, what more could you want? A great place to socialise, stop for a coffee, gossip with friends and do some retail therapy..every girl's dream!
10 km north of the Brisbane CBD.
Westfield Shoppingtown Chermside, Prince Charles Hospital and Holy Spirit Northside Private Hospital, Kedron-Wavell Services Club.
Located just 10 kilometres north of the Brisbane CBD, Chermside is a well-established Brisbane suburb and is known for several local landmarks including the Prince Charles Hospital, the Westfield Chermside shopping centre and the very popular Kedron-Wavell Services club. While the suburb still has many chamferboard homes constructed during the 1950s and 1960s, many higher density developments including a number of new townhouse and unit developments have been constructed in recent years. Chermside residents have witnessed a renewal phase in the suburb's lifecycle in recent years, which has been assisted by the development of retail shopping facilities along Gympie Road and the relocation of the Australian Taxation Office.
The recently built Holy Spirit Hospital on the grounds of the Prince Charles Hospital has also assisted in the renewal phase. Westfield Shoppingtown in Chermside is the major retail anchor for all the surrounding suburbs. It received a complete refurbishment that has made it one of the most popular shopping complexes in Brisbane. A scattering of parks in the area provide good walk and bikeways however, for those looking to spend the day by the water, the bay-side suburb of Sandgate is also only a 10-minute drive away providing an ideal place for residents to escape to on the weekend for family picnics.
Families are serviced by schools in neighbouring suburbs including Wavell primary school, Wavell high school, Craigslea primary and high schools, Our Lady of the Angels primary school and Somerset Hills primary school. Chermside contains a variety of restaurants, retail businesses and leisure facilities such as the Chermside aquatic centre and a cinema complex at the Westfield Chermside shopping centre.
The Duke of York Clan occupied the region to the south of the South Pine River. To the north was the North Pine Clan. Tom Petrie indicated that the Turrbal language was spoken as far north as North Pine, west to Moggil and Gold Creek and south to the Logan.
Petrie was a great source of information on Aboriginal people and he marked out many of the roads in the district along existing Aboriginal tracks. He first travelled the Old Northern Road in 1845 when he accompanied Aborigines to the bonyi (bunya) festival in the Blackall Ranges. Tom spoke about the leader of a small fishing tribe who lived near the mouth of the South Pine River. His clan called him Mindi-Mindi, and the whites called him Kabon-Tom. He initially scared Tom Petrie when Tom teased him as a child, but later they became friends. Kabon-Tom lived to be an old man in his nineties. Others weren’t so lucky. The diseases bought by the whites soon had a major detrimental effect on the Aboriginal population.
After Tom Petrie was married and was looking for a place to start a cattle grazing property, he went into the area we now know as Petrie. He was accompanied by Dal-ngang; the son of Aboriginal elder Dalapai he had known since childhood. One of the first things he noticed about the local North Pine Aborigines was the smallpox scars on their bodies, and the fact that there were few old people. Disease had taken its toll. Tom chose a site for his homestead, which he named ‘Murrumba' meaning good. An area on the river nearby was called ‘Mandin' meaning fishing nets, as this was a popular local fishing place.
Closer to the Moreton Bay settlement the main camping ground for the Duke of York Clan was the gully through Victoria Park and the Brisbane Exhibition Grounds. This campsite was known as Barrambin. Another popular campsite was Buyuba at Newmarket near Bancroft Park on Enoggera Creek. Enoggera is derived from the word Yowoggera which means corroboree. A burial ground also existed there.
The area of Chermside was originally named Downfall Creek. When the first school in the area opened in 1900, the teacher James Youatt disliked the name so much that he suggested renaming the school 'Chermside' after the newly appointed governor of Queensland. The name Chermside was formalised in 1903. Although the earliest land sales were held in 1865, the area remained devoted to farming until early in the twentieth century. The first urban subdivisions were offered for sale at the turn of the century on either side of the old shopping centre on Gympie Road.
Chermside was the business centre for the surrounding districts in the late nineteenth century and early twentieth century. Andrew Hamilton started up a blacksmith and coach-building business on his property in Gympie Road. Slaughter yards were common and in 1891 a tannery and wool wash was built as an offshoot of the slaughter yards. When the government started up the Cannon Hill meatworks as a public abattoir in 1930, many suburban meatworkers became unemployed. This was a major problem in the Chermside area, where so many were involved in this industry.
The first general store, run by John Patterson, opened on Gympie Road in 1870. His store was also the receiving office for the mail. More businesses came to the area and the first official post office opened in William Sammells' general store on the corner of Hall Street in the early 1900s. Other small business included boot repairers, butcher shops, saddlers, and a sawmill. In 1927 Maurice Tilley built a theatre which was later named the Dawn.
After World War II there was a great demand for housing in the area. Much of Marchant Park and Sparkes Paddock had been used for training camps for soldiers. Many buildings remained after the war and these were used for temporary housing. After the tramline was extended from Lutwyche Cemetery to Chermside in 1947, the area became more accessible. Houses were built privately, by the Queensland Housing Commission, or by the Commonwealth Government as War Service Homes. By the early 1970s all the available land had been subdivided for housing.
In 1957 the first integrated mall-style shopping centre in Queensland opened in Chermside. It was built by Allan and Stark (later Myer) and was known locally as the Chermside Drive-in. The provision of car parking was a new concept for Brisbane shoppers. In 1972 a spectacular fire destroyed part of the shopping centre. The centre was refurbished in 1986, and in 1995 plans were made to extend the shopping centre over Banfield Street to include a major bus interchange.
Chermside was named after the first Governor of Queensland, Sir Herbert Chermside, who held office from 1902-04. One of the first families to settle in Chermside was the Hamiltons. Andrew, Margaret, and seven children settled on Gympie Road between Kuran Street and Hamilton Road in the late 1860s. Here they eventually established coach-building and blacksmithing businesses. Another early family was the Pattersons, who started the first store at 575 Gympie Road.
Aaron Adsett farmed the land where the garden settlement is now. The Adsetts had a family of sixteen children. Some of the German families who settled along Hamilton Road were the Hermans, Lenzs, Fischlers, Staibs, and Bachmanns. Gottleib Conradi opened the second store in the area in about 1880. He named it the Polsloe Store, after his home town. In 1918, when the Kedron Shire Council was instructed by the government to acquire more parkland, soft-drink manufacturer, George Marchant, donated the land now known as Marchant Park. Marchant had originally used the area as a spelling paddock for his horses. He also donated the land for the Garden Settlement and financed the construction of the first cottages on the site. Frank and Norma Sleeman made their mark locally in the post-war era. They started a newsagency in 1950 and ran it until 1957. Frank was later Lord Mayor of Brisbane.
The office of the Kedron Divisional Board was situated on Gympie Road opposite the intersection with Murphy Road. A cattle dip was built to the east of the office adjacent to the creek. The Chermside (Prince Charles) Hospital was established in 1954 under the Tuberculosis Arrangement between the state and commonwealth governments. The main hospital block was completed in 1959. As tuberculosis became less prevalent, the hospital took on other casework, including the elderly, mentally handicapped children and orthopaedics. A cardiac clinic was later established and in 1964 the first hole-in-the-heart operation was carried out there. During the 1960s a neuropsychiatric unit was established and additional wards were built for nursing-home patients.
The Central Methodist Mission opened the Garden Settlement in 1936 in response to the acute problems of old age experienced during the depression. Reverend H. M. Wheller envisaged the project. His ideas came to fruition with the donation of two-and-a-half acres (one hectare) of land in 1935 by soft-drink manufacturer, George Marchant (who also gave land for Marchant's Park). The first twenty-five cottages were built on this land. By 1939, nine more cottages and a bowling green had been built.
The Westfield Shopping Centre is now the major retailing outlet in the region. A branch of the Australian Taxation Office occupies adjoining land. In 1971 the KMart Shopping Centre opened, on the corner of Gympie and Webster roads, the site of an old slaughter yard owned by Slack.
Reference: Mary Howells, BRISbites, 2000