Postcode: 4034 | Distance to CBD: 14 km
Welcome to Carseldine
The suburb of Carseldine in Brisbane's north is defined by gently undulating hills, wide streets and lots of trees. Older streets tend to be dominated by low-set brick bungalows on good sized blocks, while the newer streets show large, designer homes with lots of glass and concrete. At the end of 2008, Carseldine lost its university campus when QUT's Carseldine campus was relocated to Kelvin Grove. Fortunately there are still sports grounds, parks, stands of gum trees and easy access to the city and the Sunshine Coast.
Carseldine is about 14km from Brisbane’s CBD. Over 46% of households in this area consist of couples with children, 41% are of couples without children and 11% are single parent households. Stand-alone houses make up over 79% of the dwellings in this area, and townhouses account for another 20%. The housing lots in this area are a generous size, and most homes are made of brick. There are also new townhouses and low-density unit blocks in this area.
Aspley Hypermarket is huge and has everything you’re looking for. There’s also Bracken Ridge shopping precinct on Gawain Road and the Geebung shopping precinct on Newman Road.
Melanie says: I live here and it is so quiet and peaceful and I don't ever want to move. I have lived here now for 2 years and it's just the best. No crime and the quiet streets are great!
14 km north of the Brisbane CBD.
Queensland University of Technology Carseldine Campus, large semi-acreage, Carseldine rail station, easy access to Bruce Highway and the Sunshine Coast
Located about 14km directly north of the Brisbane CBD Carseldine is a mixture of residential housing and various rural land holdings. As a result of the suburb's rapid population growth, the area's rural land is coming under increasing pressure from the outer urban sprawl and is quickly being converted to residential land. Although the majority of housing in Carseldine remains detached residential housing there has been an increasing number of new townhouses and low-density housing units constructed over the last decade. Carseldine has proved to be a popular suburb over recent years as a result of its close proximity to more well known suburbs such as Aspley and Bridgeman Downs.
The adjoining suburb of Aspley boasts retail services and facilities for Carseldine residents including the Hypermarket, a Home Base Centre and numerous restaurants and convenience stores. Slightly further away Strathpine also provides industrial services plus the recently expanded Westfield Shoppingtown Strathpine, which incorporates a cinema complex, games arcade and tenpin bowl. Carseldine is well serviced by public transport with easy access to both bus and rail (Carseldine Station) services providing direct access into the heart of Brisbane. In addition, the main northern highway runs through the area, while access to the Gateway Motorway is about five minutes away providing a quick trip of about 15 minutes by car to both the international and domestic airports.
Several schools in the surrounding area including Taigum Primary School, Aspley East Primary School, St Flannans Catholic School and Aspley Primary and High Schools service residents. Tertiary students are also close to the Queensland University of Technology Carseldine campus. Carseldine is also equipped to service older residents with Carseldine Retirement Village and the Holy Spirit Home located within the suburbs boundaries. With its variety of housing, easy access to public transport and close proximity to schools, the area has shown a solid level of appreciation for its family lifestyle.
The Duke of York Clan occupied the region to the south of the South Pine River. To the north was the North Pine Clan. Tom Petrie indicated that the Turrbal language was spoken as far north as North Pine, west to Moggil and Gold Creek, and south to the Logan.
Petrie was a great source of information on Aboriginal people and he marked out many of the roads in the district along existing Aboriginal tracks. He first travelled the Old Northern Road in 1845 when he accompanied Aboriginals to the bonyi (bunya) festival in the Blackall Ranges. Tom spoke about the leader of a small fishing tribe who lived near the mouth of the South Pine River. His clan called him Mindi-Mindi, and the whites called him Kabon-Tom. He initially scared Tom Petrie when Tom teased him as a child, but later they became friends. Kabon-Tom lived to be an old man in his nineties. Others weren’t so lucky. The diseases brought by the whites soon had a major detrimental effect on the Aboriginal population.
After Tom Petrie was married and looking for a place to start a cattle grazing property, he went into the area we now know as Petrie. He was accompanied by Dal-ngang, the son of Aboriginal elder Dalapai he had known since childhood. One of the first things he noticed about the local North Pine Blacks was the smallpox scars on their bodies and the fact that there were few old people. Disease had taken its toll.
Tom chose a site for his homestead, which he named ‘Murrumba’ meaning good. An area on the river nearby was called ‘Mandin’, meaning fishing nets, because this was a popular local fishing place. Closer to the Moreton Bay settlement the main camping ground for the Duke of York Clan was the gully through Victoria Park and the Brisbane Exhibition Grounds. This campsite was known as Barrambin. Another popular campsite was Buyuba at Newmarket near Bancroft Park on Enoggera Creek. Enoggera is derived from the word Yowoggera which means corroboree. A burial ground existed there also.
One of the early subdivisions in the Carseldine area was the Melrose Fruit Farms Estate, which was part of Aspley when it was offered for auction in 1914. The area subdivided was between Graham Road (then Zillmere Road) and Cabbage Tree Creek.
This area had been purchased by John Henry and Samuel Raynbird in 1860 and had been used for dairying since 1880. The land was described as having rich chocolate soil, suitable for bananas and pineapples, which were extensively grown in the region at that time. The land was only one mile [1.6 kilometres] from the Zillmere station and four miles [6.4 kilometres] from the Kedron Park tram.
This suburb was named after fencing contractor William Carseldine who settled in Bald Hills in 1858. He went there to work for John Stewart, who had settled on the site now occupied by St Paul's school. The family name is usually spelt Castledean. William was illiterate and his son John spelt the name as best he could; hence the variation. The Carseldine family made important contributions to the community. His son, James, established the first store in Bald Hills in 1869 which acted as the post office and later a newsagency. John was instrumental in establishing the track which later became Gympie Road. The family settled on Bald Hills Road and their farmhouse was in the vicinity of Calderwood Street.
William also owned land in what is now Carseldine, in the vicinity of the Holy Spirit Home. John owned land on Roghan Road between Bridgeman Road and Kyle Street. He later moved to the Caboolture district where he was a local Councillor on the Caboolture Divisional Board. In 1879 he was gazetted as a magistrate.
The Carseldine Campus of the Queensland University of Technology is one of the major landmarks in this region. The campus started out in July 1977 as an extension of the Kangaroo Point Technical College, which aimed to service the rapidly expanding population on the northern suburbs of Brisbane. The government already had an old building on the site and planning began in 1974. The Kangaroo Point Technical College changed its name to the North Brisbane College of Advance Education at that time. The college was initially involved in teacher education, but rapidly expanded into other fields such as business studies, community studies and liberal studies. During 1989, Carseldine, Kedron Park and Kelvin Grove Colleges of Advanced Education were consolidated with QUT.
Reference: Mary Howells, BRISbites, 2000