Postcode: 4035 | Distance to CBD: 13 km
This northside suburb features
palatial homes and brick
multi-storey houses, some on large
blocks with swimming pools and some
acreage lots too. The area was
mostly developed in the 1990s and
Bridgeman Downs only officially
became a suburb of Brisbane in 1975.
Many families choose to live in
Bridgeman Downs because of the
larger homes and generous blocks
(plenty big enough for a pool) and
promixity to shops such as Pick n
Pay Hypermarket at Aspley and
various public and private schools.
The suburb has a ribbon of parkland
with remnant bushland along Cabbage
Tree Creek. Bunyaville State Forest
Park is nearby and it's a great spot
for a short bushwalk or a weekend
Lots of the streets are named after plants and tree species e.g. Karri Place, Banksia Place and Casuarina Street. The streets west of Beckett Road are named with a space and planetary theme e.g. Saturn Crescent, Galaxy Street and Shuttle Place. Bridgeman Downs is a prime spot to view Christmas lights, with the proud residents making use of their large front lawns and homes to display winning lights and decorations. There's also the peaceful Pinnaroo Lawn Cemetery but the old Starlight Twin Drive-in is no more, with houses built where movie lovers used to kiss in their cars. Decades ago, Bridgeman Downs was a small farming area, growing pineapples, bananas and lettuce. There was also a piggery and dairy farm.
The closest train station is at Oxford Park and so the great majority of people use a car to drive to work. Once you leave Bridgeman Downs and enter Albany Creek you'll have officially left Brisbane city. Instead you'll be within Moreton Bay Regional Council. The majority of Bridgeman Downs, surrounded by Aspley, Albany Creek, McDowall and Carseldine is residential estate, established in the late eighties and early nineties. The resident population is relatively young, however there is a retirement village and a cemetery.
In November 1860, Henry St John Bridgeman bought land bounded by Albany Creek, Albany Creek Road, Bridgeman Road and Beams Road. In 1877, Bishop James Quinn's Queensland Immigration Society purchased this land, presumably for the migrants he had bought from Ireland. The land became known as the Bishop's Paddock. However ultimately the land was leased out to mostly German immigrants, who initially cleared and fenced the land in lieu of lease payments. Archbishop James Duhig subdivided the land in 1957. At that time the Brisbane City Council resumed part of this land, which Phillip Hulse had farmed, for a cemetery. In 1966 it became the Pinaroo Lawn Cemetery, which incorporated the Commonwealth War Graves Gardens of Remembrance. Bridgeman Downs was gazetted as a suburb in 1975 and suburban development grew after this time.
Prestige acreage homes, easy access to Brisbane and the Sunshine Coast via Bruce Highway.
Bridgeman Downs is a relatively new outer northern suburb of Brisbane, about 14.5km from the CBD. In recent years it has raised its profile by transforming areas of open forest into up-market contemporary housing, especially on large estates. Surrounded by the suburbs of Aspley, McDowall and Albany Creek, Bridgeman Downs contains a wide variety of land uses including suburban allotments, acreage properties, retirement homes and the Albany Creek Memorial Park.
With some of the native vegetation still visible from the main roads, visitors to the suburb often remark on the rural atmosphere that remains from earlier times when the area was used for cattle grazing. The release of residential land in stages adjoining the Becketts Road precinct has caused a marked population increase. The suburb has good access out of Brisbane to the Sunshine Coast via the Bruce Highway. It has good bus transport services to the CBD and is a five-minute drive away from Carseldine railway station. The area is well serviced with the Aspley Hypermarket, Chermside Shopping Complex, and various cinemas, clubs and restaurants.