Postcode: 4034 | Distance to CBD: 13 km
Welcome to Aspley
Residents of Aspley in Brisbane's north have a head start on southern residents when driving to the Sunshine Coast, and the bayside suburb of Sandgate is only 10 minutes away. Brisbane's only 'Pick and Pay' Hypermarket has its home at Aspley and there's also a large variety of major retail shops and restaurants along Gympie Road. Chermside Shopping Centre is also only a short drive away.
Aspley is about 13km from Brisbane’s CBD. Over 43% of households in this area consist of couples with children, 42% are of couples without children and 13% are single parent households. Stand-alone houses make up over 73% of the dwellings in this area, and townhouses account for a further 17%. You’ll see older brick and tile homes as well as chamferboard homes in this area.
As well as the huge Hypermarket, you can visit Homemaker City, Chermside Markets and Geebung Shopping Precinct – all close to home!
Mark says: Aspley encapsulates the essence of Brisbane's reputation of a "big country town". It doesn't have to try too hard to be a welcoming and gathering meeting place - what more could you ask for?
13 km north of the Brisbane CBD.
Pick and Pay Hypermarket, direct road access to the Sunshine Coast
Aspley is approximately 13 kilometres directly north of the Brisbane CBD and was originally known as 'Cabbage Tree Creek' although the name was officially changed to 'Aspley' in 1897. The majority of housing is in the form of detached dwellings with limited townhouse and unit developments. There is a wide variety of housing located within the suburb that ranges from chamferboard two bedroom houses to larger modern brick residences in more up-market areas of the suburb. The suburb is divided by Maundrell Terrace into the 'old' section on the eastern side and the newer section on the western side.
Aspley contains a variety of restaurants and retail businesses including Brisbane's only 'Pick and Pay' Hypermarket, a Home Base retail centre and associated shopping centres. A Westfield shopping centre is located close by in Chermside with the bay-side suburb of Sandgate only 10 minutes away. Overall there are ample services and facilities located within Aspley that add to the appeal of the suburb.
Aspley remains a sound area for investment in housing, with good access to the CBD and the north coast, a substantial retail precinct and a variety of restaurants and eateries. There are two state primary schools and one state high school. The nearest railway stations are at Zillmere and Geebung. Aspley is home to an even spread across most age groups reflecting the successful integration of young families and older residents.
The Duke of York Clan occupied the region to the south of the South Pine River. To the north was the North Pine Clan. Tom Petrie indicated that the Turrbal language was spoken as far north as North Pine, west to Moggil and Gold Creek and south to the Logan.
Petrie was a great source of information on Aboriginal people and he marked out many of the roads in the district along existing Aboriginal tracks. He first travelled the Old Northern Road in 1845 when he accompanied Aborigines to the Bonyi (Bunya) festival in the Blackall Ranges. Tom spoke about the leader of a small fishing tribe who lived near the mouth of the South Pine River. His clan called him Mindi-Mindi, and the whites called him Kabon-Tom. He initially scared Tom Petrie when Tom teased him as a child, but later they became friends. Kabon-Tom lived to be an old man in his nineties. Others weren’t so lucky. The diseases bought by the whites soon had a major detrimental effect on the Aboriginal population.
After Tom Petrie was married and was looking for a place to start a cattle grazing property, he went into the area we now know as Petrie. He was accompanied by Dal-ngang the son of an Aboriginal elder, Dalapai he had known since childhood. One of the first things he noticed about the local North Pine Aborigines was the smallpox scars on their bodies and the fact that there were few old people. Disease had taken its toll.
Tom chose a site for his homestead, which he name ‘Murrumba’ meaning good. An area on the river nearby was called ‘Mandin’, meaning fishing nets, as this was a popular local fishing place.
Closer to the Moreton Bay settlement the main camping ground for the Duke of York Clan was the gully through Victoria Park and the Brisbane Exhibition Grounds. This campsite was known as Barrambin. Another popular campsite was Buyuba at Newmarket near Bancroft Park on Enoggera Creek. Enoggera is derived from the word Yowoggera which means corroboree. A burial ground also existed there.
The area was known as Soldier's Flat when it was first surveyed in 1859. During the 1890s it was known as Little Cabbage Tree Creek. By 1897 the district was named Aspley after the Morris family's orchard and vineyard, which had been established since the 1870s. Land parcels were eagerly bought up during the 1850s and 1860s. By the 1890s smaller subdivisions were being sold. A school, initially called Little Cabbage Creek School, had opened in 1890. The Royal Exchange Hotel operated from 1875 and served as the first general store. It was situated on Gympie Road opposite the Albany Creek Road intersection.
In 1888 Huttons opened a smallgoods factory in nearby Pineapple Street, Zillmere. This provided employment locally and many farmers worked here when the seasons were bad. Timber getters also sold cordwood for the boilers. In 1890 land was subdivided into small urban lots to the west of Dorville Street. The estate was called Huttonville and was designed for factory workers. Slaughter yards operated along Kedron Brook, Downfall Creek, and Little Cabbage Tree Creek.
The area remained devoted to farming until after World War I when more small industries sprang up. These included Griffith's Sweet Factory, which opened on Gympie Road in 1920, Glanville's brickworks on Brickfield Road in the 1930s, and Hedge's Dripping Factory at the end of Lawrence Road, which opened in 1933. Further grocery stores sprang up in the area. Beckmans operated the first bakery and a service station operated from the 1920s to service the growing traffic on the Gympie Road.
John and Alf Morris who bought land in the area in 1865 named their estate Aspley Vineyards. The property, situated between Maundrell Terrace and Gympie Road to the south of Albany Creek Road, remained in the Morris family until 1962.
William Wallin started the Royal Exchange Hotel in 1875. Together with William Brown, Morris and Wallin were instrumental in the establishment of the Aspley School, which was built on Brown's land late in 1889.
The names of other pioneering families such as the Trouts and the Maundrells have been perpetuated in local street names.
Current landmarks show little evidence of past occupations and industries. The Pick and Pay Hypermarket was established in 1984 opposite the small village shops that had evolved around the original hotel site. The Aspley Acres Caravan Park was once the site of a bone mill operated by the Livingstons in the 1890s. It provided fertilisers to local farmers and remained on site until 1932. The remains of the old Hedge's dripping factory may be found at the end of Lawrence Road near the reservoir. The Aspley Homebase shopping centre is a recent addition to the area. The adjacent caravan park was the site of the first urban subdivisions in the area, which sought to provide housing sites for workers at the Hutton's factory in Pineapple Street.
Reference: Lesley Jenkins, BRISbites, 2000